VPN services have been created to protect your personal data and ensure privacy while online.
Virtual space is not the friendliest and safest place, as it seems to many. Cybercriminals are constantly trying to steal personal data, online stores collect dossiers on users, providers track the actions of their customers and block access to certain web resources.
Purpose VPN Services
The abbreviation VPN refers to a set of technologies that provide network traffic over another network. That is, a VPN is a service that protects the private data of a network user.
A VPN connection involves the use of two devices:
- Server device – equipment with specially installed software, waiting for a connection with the user;
- User device – the equipment with which the user connects to a remote server device.
A simplified step-by-step algorithm for the operation of a VPN service:
- The user selects a specific VPN service and connects to it.
- The VPN service receives a request from a client and establishes a secure connection with it, i.e. a kind of tunnel is formed between the user’s device and the VPN provider.
- The user sends a specific request to view information from a specific network resource via the generated channel.
- The VPN service, having received the required information via an open communication channel, returns the requested information to the user.
For the user, the passage of such stages remains imperceptible; when using a high-quality VPN service, the speed and quality of the network connection remain unchanged. It is impossible to trace the chain of actions of a particular user by third parties, since the source of the connection is unknown.
As a rule, VPN is used in the following cases:
- Visit blocked Internet resources. The Provider, in accordance with local law or as directed by a competent authority, may suspend access to certain sites. VPN services are the main mechanism for bypassing such blocking.
- Ensure anonymity. The VPN service is able to change the used IP address of the user to the IP of another server. In this case, it should be remembered that any site will not be able to determine the user by IP, however, identification by other parameters is possible – OS or browser version, cookies, screen resolution, etc.
- Geolocation masking. By IP address, you can easily determine the city in which the user is located. If a user, for some reason, wants to hide his real location, he can easily do this using VPN services.
- Transfer security. Often large corporations use VPN services to protect commercial information from competitors.
Select VPN service
To choose the best VPN service option, you should consider the following main criteria.
- Access speed – since traffic is redirected through at least one additional server, download speed is reduced.
- Encryption – AES256 is the best choice, a 256-bit key can effectively resist hacking attempts.
- Availability of applications for PC or mobile device.
- Availability of servers in a specific country according to the needs of the user.
The following VPN services are currently the most popular:
- Browsec – the service functions as a mobile application and browser extension. The free version is unlimited and does not require additional settings.
- Zenmate – The VPN is highly encrypted, but the free version has a noticeable speed limit.
- Betternet – the free plan has unlimited traffic, a convenient application and the ability to use it without registration.
- Tunnelbear – The VPN service has both an app and a browser extension. Unlimited traffic is available only in the paid version.
- Cloudflare WARP – the service works on all current platforms. Traffic is unlimited, but there is no option to select a specific country.
All popular VPN services have similar functionality. For maximum privacy, it is advisable to opt for paid products – this not only improves the quality of use, but also contributes to the reliable protection of confidential information.